Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challengeā„¢ Q&A Yesterday, on San Bernardino Peak Reply To: Yesterday, on San Bernardino Peak

• Anush K.

February 10, 2018 at 1:05 am

[quote quote=4412]I haven’t hiked San B and San G since the new day hike quota restrictions have been limited. But I need clarification from those who have hiked it recently.
    From the SGWA website: ā€œEffective 9/1/17 Day Hikes will not be limited to a quota. All Day Hikes have become available for each date in the calendar. If you were previously denied for a Day Hike, you can resubmit your request to get approval. Self Issue forms will also be available for all open trails.ā€

My question is: are those self issue forms actually available at the trailhead/parking lots or only at the Mill Creek Ranger Station? ie if I’m doing San B from Angelus Oaks, can I still drive straight to the trailhead and fill out a form there, or do I have to go to the Ranger station first? Thanks!![/quote]

Hi Leigh! You donā€™t have to file for Day Hike at San Bernardino. They recommend it for the rangers to have your information in case something happens but itā€™s not required. However, if you are planning to camp there then you absolutely have to file the form. Iā€™ve faxed the form ahead of time because it said on the form that it may take up to 5 days to process (we didnā€™t camp though.) You have to have the Adventure Pass though to park at the trailhead- that you can buy at any sport store or at the station.
    Regarding the trailhead- there is nobody at the trailhead so either drive to the station or fax it ahead of time. You can find the form on Angeles Nation Forestā€™s website.
    By the way, the last part of the road to the trailhead at Angelus Oaks is pretty sketchy. Itā€™s a pretty much a dirt road so be ready and take your time.
    Good luck at San B.- itā€™s a tough but a stunning hike!

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: