Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A Hiking any trail up Mt Baldy?

• Hiking any trail up Mt Baldy?

Posted by Rani Bartlett on January 10, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Any trail is good for hiking the peaks so its ok if i start on the other side of Baldy then link up the Cucamunga summit as well?

Jeff replied 6 years ago 9 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Jeff

Administrator
    January 11, 2018 at 8:25 am

[quote quote=2745]Any trail is good for hiking the peaks so its ok if i start on the other side of Baldy then link up the Cucamunga summit as well?[/quote]Absolutely! That’s a hella long day, but it can be done if you’re prepared. And you can bag Mt Harwood, Timber, Thunder, and Telegraph peaks along the way. Six peaks in one trip!

• Anush K.

January 22, 2018 at 10:17 pm

We took the trail via Devil’s Backbon – it’s a tough but stunning trail !!!

• AlAnCap

February 6, 2018 at 8:38 pm

There is very little shade on 3 T’s. If you go from Baldy to Cucamunga, I would recommend doing it on a cool or overcast day.

• inspiralmom

March 5, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Hi there,

I’m trying to hike Mt Baldy this Friday. Any advice? I’ve never done that trail before.

Thanks in advance
    -Sarah

• Jeff

Administrator
      March 5, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Sarah, right now, there is snow on Mount Baldy. @greg was up there on Sunday, and while it’s not particularly deep, conditions can change. Unless you’re experienced and equipped to handle winter mountaineering, I suggest waiting until later in the season.

We are assembling a team for the annual Climb for Heroes up Mt Baldy on June 3rd. If you’re interested, you can join our team here. It’s a ton of fun!

• Angeleshiker

April 14, 2018 at 9:11 am

Anyone know if there is snow on Baldy and/or Cucamonga right now? We are looking towards hiking the first week of May.

• Melody Townsend

April 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm

[quote quote=7177]Anyone know if there is snow on Baldy and/or Cucamonga right now? We are looking towards hiking the first week of May.[/quote]

I was on Baldy this morning and there was no snow on the trail. There were small patches scattered around the summit, but nothing on the trail itself. I went up Devil’s Backbone and down Ski Hut.

• Renata

April 15, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Just got back from Baldy and the trail is clear and in good condition. Few patches of snow on the very top.

• Angeleshiker

April 15, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Thank you @melobaby!

• Debra G.

April 22, 2018 at 1:52 pm

If anyone hiked Baldy this weekend, please report back. Is all the ice melted? I want to hike Baldy next Saturday. My 14 year old daughter is doing the 6pop with me and I do not want to hike with any ice on the trail. I prefer hiking boots instead of crampons. Thank you!

• Jeff

Administrator
      April 22, 2018 at 2:37 pm

[quote quote=7925]If anyone hiked Baldy this weekend, please report back. Is all the ice melted? I want to hike Baldy next Saturday. My 14 year old daughter is doing the 6pop with me and I do not want to hike with any ice on the trail. I prefer hiking boots instead of crampons. Thank you![/quote]Debra, be sure to check the hiking logs for Mount Baldy. There are already a couple of hike logs from this weekend (4/21 and 4/22). According to @mlandis, they took the Devil’s Backbone route and the trail was clear of snow.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: