Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challengeā„¢ Q&A Recommendations for Hiking Mount St Helens Reply To: Recommendations for Hiking Mount St Helens

• Erica

September 5, 2020 at 8:23 pm

Hello again! We have since hiked it – not sure if youā€™re still looking for advice? But hereā€™s a few thoughts – start as early as you can. It gets very exposed, and the sun can get intense. We started at 6 (stayed in a hotel about an hour away as the kids were hanging out there for the day – but lots of people camped at the trail head). 3-4 litres of water, I saw people stashing water part way. No need for crampons, but poles will be hour friend – for climbing the ash and at the top. Also, we found the lava rocks SLOW GOING – especially going down. And surprisingly tiring. Took us 8 hours, we heard average is 7-12. Having now completed all the hikes, I found this one the hardest/my legs were sorest! We were happy we brought work gloves as the rocks were rough. And the true summit is actually further to your left after getting to the top – we hadnā€™t realized that, and were super glad to make the extra effort. So spectacular up there!!!!! Have fun!

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: