Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire August Theme: Outdoor Photography — Share your faves!

• August Theme: Outdoor Photography — Share your faves!

Posted by Jeff on August 5, 2023 at 3:19 pm

Our theme for August is outdoor photography, and we want to see your favorite outdoor shots. You can upload 1-3 photos (that you took, of course) along with where you took the photo, and why it’s special to you. We know there are a lot of great photographers in the challenge, and we want you to inspire us!

I’ll start…

This is one of my all time favorite captures, just above Vernal Falls in Yosemite. No idea who these two guys are, but the way the sunlight hit the moss through the trees captured the moment nicely, IMO.

Sowmi replied 7 months, 3 weeks ago 16 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • daltonb99

August 9, 2023 at 10:06 am

Cloud inversions on Albert mountain in Nantahala National Forest in North Carolina.

An amazing view that greeted me after a night spent sleeping in the best preserved firetower I’ve been in.

View from the Lost Mine trail in Big Bend National Park

A late evening hike on my trip to West Texas, capping off a day of several desert hikes.

Snowy sunrise on the Appalachian Trail on the balds of Roan Mountain.

A zero-degree windy morning offered a stunning sunrise.

• Mey Saephan

August 9, 2023 at 10:07 am

I love being able to take my kids to different sceneries outdoors and getting them to disconnect from their devices and enjoy nature.

• Tony

August 10, 2023 at 1:24 pm

A favorite place. Keeping it all in perspective

• Tony

August 10, 2023 at 1:27 pm

I love the alpine lakes as a subject. In this photo I was getting a look at Dallas peak from shoulder on Sneffles looking across blue lakes.

• Rob

August 10, 2023 at 6:48 pm

Two of these are photos taken this year: One is from the Morgan Trail near Lake Elsinore (looking across the lake to the snow-capped mountains), the other was taken on the Potato Mountain trail after snow fell at an unusually low elevation in Southern California in February. I grew up around snow (and with views of Mt. Rainier and the Cascades) and have always loved the beauty of snow. However, I never did an official “hike” in snow until the Potato Mountain hike in February.

The final photo is from the Mt. Whitney hike last September, a memorable hike that was my goal hike for last year (I successfully summited).

• Tim

August 11, 2023 at 11:18 am

The first was taken last year with my dog Luna at the age of six months. She is looking over Flaming Gorge reservoir on the Utah/Wyoming border. This is overlooking a cliff area and I was skeptical about letting her get this close. But she did really well.

The second is my daughter at The Wave hike earlier this year. Me and my daughters were super fortunate to draw very quickly on our applications and were able to see this beautiful area. Such an amazing place on this planet we call home.

The last one is from 20 years ago, before cell phone cameras were a thing. This was taken with a regular 35 millemeter camera while solo hiking The W in Patagonia. Although the photo quality is not where I like it to be, I really enjoyed this moment.

Cheers to all out there!

• Pam

August 11, 2023 at 9:08 pm

Bear Mountain, one hikes in the Arizona Sunmer Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge, kicked my butt last Saturday, but it’s still my favorite Sedona hike next to West Fork. I’d climbed it in October and in November previously. Much smarter! Don’t do this one when it’s 100 degrees in Sedona.

The flowers are from Buffalo Park, where I’ve done two of my long training runs for the NYC Marathon.

The third photo was taken this Sunday just as the sun came up at Arizona Falls in Phoenix, AZ, on the Canal trail.

• Karilyn

August 13, 2023 at 5:43 pm

One of my favorite photos is from a Smokey summer backpacking in the eastern Sierras at Thousand Island Lakes. The other is from this summer at Big Pine Lakes!

• Chelsee

August 14, 2023 at 8:12 am

This summer, I have visited 4 of the 5 national parks in Utah. I’ve added my favorite photo from each park. Included below are Delicate Arch in Arches, Mesa Arch in Canyonlands, part of Angels Landing trail in Zion, and a view from Sunset Point in Bryce Canyon. I just have Capitol Reef left this year.

• Sheryl

August 18, 2023 at 6:56 am

My favorite hike is Mt Gower located over in Ramona, CA. This is an exhilarating workout of a hike because it has both ups and downs from start to finish. For this reason, some call it a Mini El Cajon.

The picture shown marks the transition to the rocky scramble towards the top. Once you reach this point you know you’re just about there. I’ve heard this one being called ‘Fangs’ because it resembles such. This is another reason why I enjoy this trail is because there are some beautiful rock formations throughout too. It’s just the beauty of the trail that adds to the enjoyment of the hike.

• Dindy

August 18, 2023 at 9:00 am

I love this picture of my son and I, taken at Belknap Crater, by fellow Six Pack of Peaker, Tiffany Hall. Being completely surrounded by lava rock with the tip of Mt. Washington behind us, makes it look other worldly.

• Samhain74

August 19, 2023 at 11:31 am

Top of Catalina island from hermit Gulch

• Megan

August 20, 2023 at 2:43 am

Toketee Falls in the Umpqua National Forest. This was one of my first waterfall hikes I went on when I moved to Oregon. The view is breathtaking and it still amazes me that I live in a state where places like this exist.

• Thu

August 27, 2023 at 12:39 pm

Mt. Whitney August 2023

Because of the intense winter this past year, the Eastern Sierras are blooming. I have been traveling to the Eastern Sierras for years and I do agree the is the most beautiful I’ve seen it up to date. There were still a lot of snow on the trail, which allowed for more epic pictures. Here are some of my favorites from the trail!

• Shawn

September 7, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Page 1 of 2

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: