Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Baden Powell October Weather Cold Weather Gear question?

• Baden Powell October Weather Cold Weather Gear question?

Posted by Joyce on October 22, 2021 at 8:54 am

So I’m back to wrap up my six pack of peaks after a break for marathon training (Virtual Boston, wooo!) and unexpected time off due to family stuff.

I want to hike Mt. Baden Powell for my 5th peak, but I see it’s 40s to 20s on the forecast. I have not actually hiked in anything that cold before. Should I sport a thick fjallraven parka or will a wool layer plus down puffy and shell do? (Of course I’ll have gloves and beanie). I’d never thought to wear a parka for a hike usually, but 20s seems pretty cold.

Joyce replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jon

October 25, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Hi Joyce,
    Keep checking the weather the temps can change quickly from day to day. I do not see any thing in the 20’s coming up.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Baden-Powell/forecasts/2867

For the colder weather bring 2-3 layer types.

1 – insulation layer like a fleece or thermal

2 – Puffy jacket – not a bulky parka

3 – Shell/windbreaker to go over the puffy

Beanie and gloves (lightweight)

I usually carry the fleece and a puffy and a beanie and that will keep me nice a warm.

If there are chances or rain I bring the shell.

• Joyce

October 29, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Thanks! I went with the down puffy plus shell option. Thankfully it ended up being 50-60s and almost no wind today when I did the hike, so it was quite pleasant. (20s was forecast for last weekend, but I just overslept so I went today instead).

I’m glad I didn’t pack the 5 pound parka XD I like being prepared but I would have been really salty if my hauled my backpacking bag just to fit the parka in there.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: