Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Comfy Hiking Boots & Post Hike Recovery

• Comfy Hiking Boots & Post Hike Recovery

Posted by Christy Bravo on July 2, 2023 at 8:35 pm

Alrighty, the first part is for the ladies… Saturday I did Mt Pinos, Sawmill & Grouse, the last mile back to the car was super painful. I have a mid-ankle Merrill boot, but it didn’t provide much comfort from the rocks on the trails and by the time I made it to the car my knees were shot. So before I go out again I am looking for recommendations on hiking boots with a comfortable sole and protection from the rocks. I would say my Merrills were acceptable until about mile 7 or 8 and I hit 10.35.

Second question… Did you see that episode of How I Met Your Mother where Barney runs the marathon with no training and then can’t off the train? Yeah, I feel like that. Except leading up to this hike I put in almost 30 miles, hiking a few times over the last two weeks. The latest 10 miler is my longest, but my legs are not happy… calves and quads hurt. I’ve been taking epsom salt baths, taking advil and stretching, but what else do you all do to recover?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and for keeping me motivated!

C

Christy Bravo replied 10 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jacqueline

July 5, 2023 at 3:29 pm

Hi!

I usually bring SaltStick tablets with me for gradually letting them dissolve in my mouth while I hike, and those help me. I’ve also had good luck with Danner boots, and Oboz boots.

• Christy Bravo

July 5, 2023 at 3:42 pm

Thank you for the info! I’ll check it out!

• Jacqueline

July 5, 2023 at 3:32 pm

Oops. Should have added: SaltStick has helped prevent muscle cramps while walking, which helped me not have huge issues with trying to recover afterward.

• Valerie

July 9, 2023 at 2:27 pm

I have morton’s neuroma on my R foot, so comfy boots are key. La Sportiva Nucleo High II GTX works well. Has ample toe box for toes, plus they’ve lightweight and waterproof. Did Cucamonga Peak as my trial hike with them on and no problems. Will be using LMNT as my electrolyte supplement on my next hike. For my Spartan races, I’ve used, Hammer Nutrition’s “Endurolytes Extreme. Happy hiking!

• Christy Bravo

July 10, 2023 at 3:26 pm

Thanks! I’m not sure if that’s what I have… I’ve been putting off the podiatrist appointment… but I have pain in the ball area near the 2nd and 3rd toes. It started when I used to volunteer at a ranch that used these rocks on the walkways…my muck boots didn’t provide enough protection. So now any time I walk or hike too much it acts up. It’s also my right foot, which I broke in college. Anything that can provide protection and comfort I am willing to try.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: