Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Mount Whitney

• Mount Whitney

Posted by Robert on August 20, 2022 at 9:10 pm

After three years, the year of 2020, of participating the SoCal Six Packs of Peaks, on August 11, 2022 I for the first time, day hiked up to Mount Whitney! I am 58 years old and my 33 year old son Christ began our journey at 2:00 am during a full moon at Whitney Portal. It took us 12 hours to summit Mount Whitney! I almost gave up twice when I was at 12,000′ elevation on the 99 switchbacks. I took three 200mg each of ibuprofen and I kept going. The views of the Sequoias are breathtaking hiking through Trail Crest, the Windows and the Needles. The views up at the summit was spectacular. Going down was even harder. We arrived at Whitney Portal at 11:45 pm to be greeted by a full size black bear! My son described hiking up Mount Whitney is like hiking two San Jacinto hikes through Deer Spring Trail in one day. Hiking Mount Baldy, San Jacinto and San Gorgonio prepared me hiking Mount Whitney. Will I ever do it again? Yes! I would like to hike Mount Whitney by camping at Trail Camp, if I can secure a permit. But if not, I will day hike Mount Whitney again.

Robert replied 1 year, 6 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Dave

August 21, 2022 at 2:27 pm

Congratulations!!! I’m the same age as you so I can relate to the need for Ibuprofen. I hike every Saturday in hopes of getting a permit but I never do. Loved reading your account of your hike. Very proud and happy for you. Good son going with you. What memories you guys created. Have a great day. The guys I surf with call it old powr. You’re awesome!!!

• Robert

August 21, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Thank you Dave! I took the ibuprofen because I felt a slight pressure, not pain, on my lower back side of my head behind my left ear. It will go away when I rested and took a break. I took a lot of breaks on the 99 switch backs. When I reached Trail Crest, the spectacular views of the Sequoias made me forget the pressure of my head, so I kept going and finally reach the summit. I ran into Jack Northam on my way up from Whitney Portal! He is 75 years old and have summited Mount Whitney 200 times!!! He is my inspiration of continuing to summit Mount Whitney. Check out his bio on crazyjacknortham.com. I hope you get a permit for Mount Whitney next year.

• Sonia

September 27, 2022 at 9:57 am

Wow~ fantastic!!!

• Robert

September 27, 2022 at 11:31 am

Thank you! If you haven’t done Mount Whitney, I highly recommend it. If you can, do it next year 2023. A very rewarding experience. I will do Mount Whitney again next year.

• Jenny

October 6, 2022 at 5:59 pm

Congratulations! This is my first year doing the 6 Pack of Peaks Challenge. I summit Mt Whitney on 9/9/2022. It is definitely a tough hike, and I am a slow hiker, but I love the view. I would do it again.

• Robert

October 6, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Congratulations on hiking Mount Whitney! Hopefully the next time I hike Mount Whitney I’ll go a little faster. Great that you have joined and done the SoCal Six Pack of Peaks.

• Chris

October 8, 2022 at 7:21 am

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your trip report and the pictures!

• Robert

October 9, 2022 at 8:47 pm

You’re welcome! I’m happy to share for those who are planning on hiking Mount Whitney in the future.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: