Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Mt. Whitney 2023 Hopefully

• Mt. Whitney 2023 Hopefully

Posted by Rodney Andres on February 25, 2023 at 9:16 am

Anyone else planning to hike Mt Whitney this year? I joined the lottery for a permit, and will know if I got it March 1st. 🙏

Rodney Andres replied 5 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Ricardo A

February 27, 2023 at 11:10 am

I hiked this one in mid May 2007 and it was amazing. It helped that we requested an early season permit. There was some snow but nothing we couldn’t handle. Wishing you luck on the permit.

• James Harvey

April 2, 2023 at 3:52 pm

I hope that you were lucky with lottery. If not don’t despair, keep an eye out for cancelations. August-October are the prime dates. Cancelations or invitations are always a possibility. It’s not a difficult hike, not easy, but not difficult. Hike a lot and get used to elevation and gain.

• Rodney Andres

April 2, 2023 at 4:29 pm

Thanks James. Unfortunately we didn’t get it. I will look out for no-shows or cancellations. Thanks for the tips!

• Zachary

May 13, 2023 at 2:01 pm

If you’re willing/able to dedicate multiple days, you can backpack to the summit out of Cottonwood Lakes. I will be doing this if pto and walk up permits align 🤞

• James Harvey

May 14, 2023 at 9:11 am

I’ve done it from Cottonwood Pass a couple of times and once from Cottonwood Lakes with Langley and Miter Basin and then Whitney. All the hikes up there are great.

• Tyler Wagoner

April 12, 2023 at 7:01 am

Hello!

I actually applied, and won a slot for this climb in September. I’m excited! In the event that I might not have been pulled, I asked a few people about an alternative. A coworker mentioned cancellations are high, and that you can show up at the Whitney Ranger Station, with no pass and just wait and see. Typically on the day of, and just fill in where someone cancelled. Got the impression the success rate of getting a pass this way, is very high… Maybe you can score an overnight cancellation? Good luck!

• Rodney Andres

April 12, 2023 at 8:09 am

That’s awesome for you. My buddy and I were pretty bummed about not getting a permit. We hurt our own chances by applying for an overnight permit instead of a day hike. I only realized after the application deadline that they give out more (60 I think) daily day hike permits vs overnight (40?). I’m not sure about showing up without a permit though. We live about a 5 hour drive South of the Whitney trail head and it would suck to make the drive and not get it. It’s something to consider, so thanks for the tip. We just might be excited/eager/desperate enough to give it a try 🙂

• Tyler Wagoner

April 12, 2023 at 10:40 pm

Yeah… that’s a long drive just for chance. But my coworker felt like it’s almost a 100% success rate. Might even be better to go during the week, if you can get the time off. Of course, if you don’t get lucky, I’m sure there are tons of trails close by you can hit. My tip: hope for the best and prepare for the worst. It’s the Sierras! ☺️☺️

• Jennifer

May 23, 2023 at 7:40 pm

We have a NOBO JMT permit for August starting at Cottonwood pass!!

• Rodney Andres

November 14, 2023 at 3:39 pm

Hi @Jennypuddinpop . Did you guys go ahead with Mt. Whitney? How was it?

• Jennifer

November 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm

We were not able to make the trip this year 😭 I broke my foot about 4 weeks before our start date. It has since healed and I am hiking again. We did do Catalina island!! Maybe the JMT next year!

• Rodney Andres

November 15, 2023 at 9:41 am

Oh I’m sorry to hear. But glad you’re back up and out there. The odds of getting a permit for Mt Whitney seem really low, and we’ll try again next year, but it’s good to know there are other options. This is the first I’d heard of the NOBO JMT, so thanks!

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: