Holy Leg Burner!!

Peak Summited2020 High Point
Type of HikeOvernight
TrailheadOak Grove
EncounteredRipe berries
Road ConditionsRoad impassable/closed
Bug StatusBugs were not too bad
Snow ConditionsIntermittent snow - not hard to cross
Trail ConditionsMinor obstacles posing few problems

My research led me to believe that this would be a great opportunity to backpack and try out my brand new tent – A Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2.

I'm not gonna lie, this hike was TOUGH!  Up and then UP and then UP AGAIN!!  The trail was relentless.  They do call it High Point after all.

You start out on a fire road but then the trail starts.  It is narrow and at times rocky.   I just kept chanting “One step and then another and then another …” or “UP and around and then UP and around …”.  [Dory is my hiking/travel buddy so I kept hearing her “Just keep Swimmin'” in my head].  Once you get through the single track trail portion you are on a fire road again until you reach the summit.  Trail or fire road the journey was still UP HILL.  I thought I would have lunch at the summit but it was just taking me too long to get there.  I finally found a flat rock where I could rest, eat and take off my back for a while.  When I got my first glimpse of the lookout tower atop a patchy snow-covered mountain, I wanted to cry.  I still had quite a distance to go and waited to cry until I finally made it to the top.  I wanted to fall to my knees but I worried I wouldn't be able to get up again!

There are some picnic tables at the top and I was quick to remove my backpack, take some pictures, grab a snack, and find a good restroom spot.  I decided I would stay there for the night and take advantage of the sunset, stars and sunrise.

My camelback apparently sprung a leak and dripped water into my sleeping bag compartment.  ALL of my sleep gear was soaked.  Thankfully my sleeping bag is a Sierra Designs Backcountry bed with Dridown insulation.  It just needed a little wind to feel dry and comfy ~ Money very well spent!  I slept in the clothes I was wearing.  I was perfectly dry and warm for the night.  The wind was pretty crazy at times.  I am not sure how much actually sleep I got.  During this adventure I learned how to set up and tear down my tent in the high winds/gusts.

The fire road down was fine but the actual trail was tough.  All the rocks and fine gravel made me slip and slide.  I was thankful to have my trusted trekking poles which saved me from what could have been some nasty falls.

I was so grateful to finally make it to my car and chug some water and Nuun.  [NOTE:  I carry a lot of hydration when I hike.  To me it always worth the weight, especially when you know there is no designated water source available.  This trip I was carrying 17 pounds of just hydration!]

Peak 2 of 6 – DONE!


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.