Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Any Suggestions for a Good Hike in SoCal?

• Any Suggestions for a Good Hike in SoCal?

Posted by Adrienne on March 24, 2021 at 10:52 am

I know many of you are happy to hike in snowy conditions. However, Christine Anzell Carrell and I are not. A little snow is ok with microspikes. So, we are looking for a fun and challenging hike in case a Peak on the Challenge is not possible next Thursday. We were going to do High Point tomorrow, but the weather conditions are not on our side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

charmaine replied 3 years ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Mark

March 24, 2021 at 11:04 am

Mt. Wilson did not have snow, but supposedly it’s not allowed. Did it anyways. Strawberry Peak might have a little snow, but it shouldn’t be that bad. It’s not too far in distance from Wilson, and about the same altitude.

Never hiked it, but I think Sitton Peak near Lake Elsinore is clear.

Other than that, Mt. Lowe is not one of the peaks, but it’s a fun hike. You learn lots of history on that hike. And you can combine it with Echo Mountain.

San Gabriel peak, which has one of the best westerly views and is also not on the peak list, should be in a similar situation as Wilson and Strawberry. Although the access trail is a north facing, so there still may be snow there. You can reach it from the Red Box parking lot just like Strawberry.

Bridge to Nowhere and Tunnels to nowhere aren’t real tough hikes, they are relatively flat. But the Bridge goes along the river. That’s pretty much my home when I’m not hiking up stuff.

• Jeff

Administrator
    April 9, 2021 at 8:46 am

Also check out our interactive list of hikes at our sister site: https://socalhiker.net/trails/

You can sort the list by length, difficulty or location.

• Rachel

April 9, 2021 at 1:07 pm

You are probably actually good on Wilson, depending on how you went up. The closure maps are confusing but the Forest Service released access up 2 routes over the last month and your allowed up to the summit from those.

• charmaine

April 16, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Just hiked Cucamonga Peak and it was beautiful! No microspikes needed but brought it just in case. As you ascend it gets windy. The views are amazing!

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: