Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A Anyone try San Jacinto yet this year?

• Anyone try San Jacinto yet this year?

Posted by Naaman on April 22, 2023 at 5:49 am

Looking to try it during Mother’s Day weekend. Wondering if anyone has done this peak yet. Any trail or gear advice? Haven’t settled on a trail yet, all depends on whether my friends will be joining me or not on this one.

Douglas replied 12 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Jeff

Administrator
    April 22, 2023 at 6:41 am

I was going to say “be sure to check the hike logs” but when I did, I saw that no one has logged San Jacinto yet in 2023. For a time, the backcountry was closed, but that order has been lifted. It’s still got lots of snow, so even taking the tram up and starting there will require extra winter mountaineering gear and expertise.

I summited San Jacinto in the snow from the tram a few years back, and wished I had brought my snowshoes. I don’t as postholing for hours.

Here’s a link to the San Jacinto hike logs:

https://socialhiker.net/six-pack-peaks-challenge/southern-california/hike-logs/mount-san-jacinto/

Mount San Jacinto Hike Logs

• Naaman

April 22, 2023 at 6:05 pm

I was looking for the logs also, but didn’t see any. Knowing you didn’t find any either makes me feel better that I wasn’t just missing them! This is very helpful, Jeff, thank you!😁

• Linda

April 23, 2023 at 3:40 pm

I attempted it twice this year before the closures. Both times it required mountaineering skills and gear. We started too late for a safe ascent of the last stretch. Some of my friends went back shortly after and had a great time summiting. I haven’t seen any recent treks with current conditions. I would post on the IG SoCal hiker page and you may get some photos and feedback.

• Naaman

April 25, 2023 at 5:46 am

Thank you, Linda!

• Kevin

April 24, 2023 at 9:58 pm

Here is the trail report.

https://sanjacjon.com/

• Naaman

April 25, 2023 at 5:47 am

Awesome, Kevin! Thank you!

• Douglas

May 1, 2023 at 5:05 am