Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A Are gas prices slowing down your hiking plans?

• Are gas prices slowing down your hiking plans?

Posted by Lindsey on June 10, 2022 at 5:36 am

How has current inflation changed your hiking plans?

My hiking partner and I have three peaks down so far in the NE challenge. All the ones we have done have been fairly local, but still costing close to $80 a trip just to get to the trail head. I didn’t mind those ones so much.

The last handful of peaks are all about 3 or so hours drive from us, but gas is over $5 a gallon now! 😭 🤢 with no end in sight..

We planned to do two or three peaks while up north to get to 6, but the cost of a hiking weekend to finish this challenge is looking insane $$$.

so…anyone else feeling the financial pinch for doing something we LOVE?! How has inflation changed your hiking plans?

Jeff replied 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jeff

Administrator
    June 14, 2022 at 3:48 pm

One option I’ve used is carpooling. If you can split the gas cost with even one other person, you’ve just reduced the cost by half. Get two or three people and you can end up with a net cost under $1.50/gallon/person.

Not sure who to hike with? Look for hiking clubs on Meetup or Facebook, or check out the AMC. Or heck, start your own! You can also post here in the forums and coordinate with other challengers.

EDIT: I wanted to add that your idea of heading up to do three peaks in a weekend is another great idea. Camping and hiking to save $$.

• Andreea

June 15, 2022 at 10:51 am

Not really locally, but I have no plans to visit any national park for the rest of the year. 😥

Just came back from hiking in Yellowstone, and missed the floods by 2 weeks, but that was all I could afford for the year. Luckily I live in SoCal, so much hiking to do locally.

• Jeff

Administrator
    June 15, 2022 at 11:02 am

Lindsey, which three peaks are you hoping to do next?

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: