Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

• Jeff

Administrator
    May 2, 2023 at 10:33 pm

Highly subjective topic. I have two labradoodles and they LOVE hiking in cold temps, but get overheated when the temperature goes above 70.

The main reason we have that type is because they don’t shed, which is great for my wife who is allergic, but also means that they are effectively velcros to dirt, debris and mud. So may or not be ideal for you. 😉

• Thom

May 3, 2023 at 8:52 am

Thanks, Jeff. I agree, very subjective. I should have phrased it differently. Doing some internet searching, it seems that the border collie is one of the most desired trail dogs. If I were to get a dog, it would most likely be a mutt from the shelter. I love the pit bull, but unless I raised it from a pup, I would be a little concerned with it. Also, their issues with hip dysplasia. A dog of that size and shorthaired would be my preference.

• Jeff

Administrator
      May 3, 2023 at 10:21 am

Border Collies make awesome trail dogs, and with some person you can probably find one, or a mix with Border Collie.

• Clare

May 3, 2023 at 1:22 pm

I don’t know where you are, but you should check out Arizona Border Collie Rescue: https://azbcr.org. They do an amazing job of fostering their rescues, understanding their personalities, and helping you find the one that’s right for you.

Clare

• Elise

May 4, 2023 at 5:15 pm

Timber

• Barbara Hill

September 23, 2023 at 5:07 pm

He is❤️

• Christy

October 5, 2023 at 8:12 pm

How about going to your local rescue? Plenty of wonderful trail dogs there. I’ve hiked with rescue dogs for over 20 years now. No more appreciative creators on this earth and your saving a life.

• Christy

October 5, 2023 at 8:16 pm

Ugh……sorry, I was trying to respond to the original post and it ended up under the Timber post, who, BTW, looks like an awesome rescue dog!!

• pmashnik

August 18, 2023 at 5:35 am

I don’t know if this is still relevant but Australian Shepherds are awesome as hiking companions as well. They are also extremely loyal and will likely try to protect you if you encounter a mountain lion.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: