Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A Caliente mountain TH

• Jeff

Administrator
    April 6, 2023 at 8:10 pm

“The Carrizo Plain has two major sources of access. From the north, the access is via Soda Lake Road off of State Route 58”

The north entrance is paved for quite a while, but once you turn on Selby Rd it gets rough.

• Frieda

April 6, 2023 at 8:13 pm

Thanks,we haven’t made a decision yet maybe it’s better to wait a bit longer .

• Jeff

Administrator
      April 7, 2023 at 8:02 am

Keep me posted. Our most recent hike log is from February, and there’s been a lot of rain since then.

• Jeff

Administrator
    April 7, 2023 at 11:06 am

According to CalTrans, Highway 58 is closed from 7 Mile Rd to Reward Rd.

It is still possible to reach Soda Lake Rd from Highway 58, if you start from San Luis Obispo and head east (rather than heading west from I-5).

• Dave

April 9, 2023 at 6:19 pm

I tried going today via the 166 and there is zero access despite what google maps seemed to think. Just locked gate after locked gate. Rather annoying that the six pack site doesn’t provide full details on how to get to the trail. I went to Grass Mountain instead which was completely open yet the six pack site shows the trail as closed.

• Frieda

April 9, 2023 at 9:28 pm

Sorry, I should’ve mentioned that access from 166 impossible,had the same issue.Went all the from Santa Maria to 58 and Soda creek rd.passed camp ground and was able to drive up to TH with 4wheel drive.Good luck

• Dave

April 9, 2023 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for the details. Will have to find some time to get back up there to run it.

• SocialHiker

Administrator
      April 10, 2023 at 9:07 am

Grass Mountain had been closed at the trailhead, where it passes through the private school property (the part in the National Forest was already opened). We’ve updated the website to reflect this. It’s been a WILD year for weather, and at times challenging to keep up with all of the trail and road closures.

Likewise, Caliente Mountain is “challenging” to get to right now. There is a way, but you have to start from San Luis Obispo area and come in from the north. We’re going to send out a message to all challengers with the current status, and updates as soon as roads reopen.

By the way, your photos from Grass Mountain are awesome!

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: