Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire California Closures

• California Closures

Posted by Sean on September 10, 2021 at 7:58 am

I’m sure it’s maybe been talked about, but if not…

I called to get info on do High Point for the SD Six Pack yesterday and I found out that all California Parks and forest lands are closed until September 17th, for now. They don’t know if that will be extended or not.

Sean replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jeff

Administrator
    September 10, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Hey Sean! Yes, we posted about this in our August Highlights.
    Note that five of the six peaks in the San Diego challenge remain open…almost. Only the final .2 miles to the summit of El Cajon are in National Forest.
    Most state parks remain open, including Cuyamaca.
    Some are closed, but usually where access practically requires some National Forest travel (San Jacinto SP).
    Currently ALL of the peaks in the SoCal challenge are closed, as they all fall within National Forest land. The closure order expires September 17th, though there could be extensions.
    It is also worth noting that the deadline for the San Diego and SoCal challenges is December 31st.

• Sean

September 11, 2021 at 8:37 am

Thanks Jeff, I thought I saw it somewhere!

• Rob

September 14, 2021 at 7:33 pm

I am a little late in seeing this but I called El Capitan County Preserve last Friday, with the intention of hiking El Cajon last weekend. That didn’t happen for several reasons but I was assured that the hike was OK to do even though the last part was in the Cleveland National Forest. (Although if anyone plans to do it before reopening they may want to check themselves – https://www.sdparks.org/content/sdparks/en/park-pages/ElCapitan.html)

• Sean

September 16, 2021 at 7:11 am

Thanks Rob!

I did El Cajon on Sept 7th with no issue but definitely a good idea to give a call to make sure.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: