Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Colorado Six-Pack Road Trip in July 2019

• Colorado Six-Pack Road Trip in July 2019

Posted by Jeff on December 7, 2018 at 2:40 pm

My wife and are planning a road trip to bag the Colorado Six-Pack of Peaks. We’re looking at camping most of the time, and doing the peaks in order. We will likely follow a day on/day off schedule, though we may end up doing a couple peaks back-to-back if it makes sense.

We’re tentatively planning to start with Bergen Peak on July 10th and finish with Grays & Torreys Peak on July 19th.

We will be bringing our new puppy, who won’t be ready to hike these this year. Joan will hang back at camp with the pup (and scout out the best aprés-hike options) while I hike the peak.

You are welcome to join us! Come along for one hike, or the whole six-pack. We still have details to iron out, but I wanted to put it out there for those who are interested.

The Colorado Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge follows a huge loop that begins and ends near Denver, but takes you through some beautiful mountain towns like Manitou Springs, Buena Vista, Fairplay, Breckenridge and more. By spreading it over 11 days, we will get a chance to enjoy the trip (i.e. not quite a death march) and have time to see some of the local sites (besides from a mountain peak, not that there’s anything wrong with that). 😉

I’m looking at the possibility of renting one of these Campervans for the trip: https://www.escapecampervans.com — they have a kitchen and queen-size bed.

If you’re interested, let me know!

Jeff replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Carisa

February 12, 2019 at 11:04 pm

Hi Jeff,
    How set in stone are these dates for the July Six-Pack? I am interested but always require very advanced notice for my work. Thanks,
    Carisa

• Jeff

Administrator
    February 13, 2019 at 10:25 am

Hey Carisa! We have some flexibility — I’m just putting some dates down to get things rolling. If you have a preference, let me know! Depending on snowfall this season, some of these peaks may still have some snow at the higher elevations. When I did Grays Peak on July 3rd, there were a couple snowfields we had to cross — nothing too technical, but nice to have micro spikes.

As I mentioned in my original post, we are planning a peak day followed by an off day. The “off” day can be used for other hikes or other activities. We are going to be bringing our dog Lucy, and she won’t quite be ready for tackling these (I don’t think… the rule of thumb is 5 minutes of hiking for each month of age). Joan may take her part way on some of these, then puppy-sit at the trailhead or in town.

We’re doing another road trip to Arizona and Utah in May with Lucy, so we’ll have a better feel for what works with the little scoundrel. 🙂

• twice

June 18, 2019 at 1:11 pm

would love to join you on some of those peak hikes. current plans have me out of town during those dates, but if that changes I will definitely contact you to confirm and hope to meet up.

• Jeff

Administrator
    July 22, 2019 at 12:49 pm

UPDATE: I should’ve posted this earlier, but, you know… life happens. As it turned out, we moved from Oregon to California toward the end of June. My wife started a new job there, and that pre-empted our planned Colorado trip. Sorry to say, it’s not going to happen this year, but I hope to finagle a trip sometime next summer.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: