Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Garmin In Reach Plans – which one to choose?

• Garmin In Reach Plans – which one to choose?

Posted by Angelique on February 1, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Can anyone here share their favorite Garmin plans and why, in terms of text allowances, etc etc. Can you share perspective on how frequently you use the device each month, etc?? I just purchased a refurbished mini and I’m wondering what plan, I’m thinking the starter plan but I wonder if it will end up adding up etc? Thanks so much!

Angelique replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jeff

Administrator
    February 2, 2022 at 9:56 am

Hi Angelique! I use the Freedom Recreation plan. There is an annual fee, plus a monthly fee… BUT you can suspend your service on a month-to-month basis, then reactivate it when you need it. Mine is currently suspended, and I’ll reactivate it when I start hitting backcountry hikes in late spring.

The main reason I like that plan in addition to the ability to suspend service is that when I’m on overnight or multi-day backpacking trips. I can send and receive messages with my wife, which gives her peace of mind.

The Freedom Safety plan is lower cost, and I think you can also suspend when not needed, but includes a fewer number of messages per month.

Of course with any of these plans, you can still go “over” your message limits and they’ll just charge a fee per message.

• Angelique

February 2, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Hello Jeff,

Thank you, yes, I like that you can still go over and just get charged if that should happen. Are you only using your device on some hikes and not all? Also, latest development: I had purchased, on Amazon, a refurb mini but I was not impressed with the screen resolution – decidedly dark and fuzzy, so I decided to purchase straight from REI and it turns out REI has an exclusive on the mini 2 – much longer battery life plus a few other extras like the ability to back track your route, anyway, the upgrade was $50 on top of a new (not refurbed unit) which means I just paid $400 + instead of the initial like $309+ – thoughts? I have yet to open the box.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: