Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Hiking with Dogs (and other pets)

• Hiking with Dogs (and other pets)

Posted by Jeff on July 17, 2023 at 10:51 am

Do you hike with your dog, cat, lizard, bird or other pet? Our theme for July is hiking with pets, and I want to see your four-legged hiking buddies. Reply to this discussion with a photo from one of your hikes, and share your favorite trail, and any tips you have for making the trek fun and safe for Fido.

I’ll start…

Joan and I have two labradoodles, Lucy and Farley. They have joined us on a number of peaks in the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge Series, though mostly we do easier hikes with them. They don’t do well in heat.

They’ve hiked Mount Woodson, Vulcan and Hot Springs Mountain in the San Diego challenge; Sutton Mountain, Black Butte and Black Crater in the Central Oregon challenge. They’ve done part of Mount Baldy (just up to The Notch), and many of the “retired” peaks in various challenges (Tumalo Mountain, Paulina Peak, etc.). Their favorite hike is the Deschutes River Trail, mostly because nothing entertains them more than the temptation of catching a squirrel.

Pictured: Lucy on the way up Volcan Mountain, and Farley atop Black Butte.

SLange replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 15 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • TiffanySarah

July 18, 2023 at 5:53 pm

Hello, I have two Australian Shepherds. My good boy Loki (5) has climbed Mt. Baldy. My good girl Ruby (3) hasn’t climbed any big peaks yet but I’ve taken her on some smaller hikes like Jones Peak. I’m looking forward to taking them with me on the six peak SoCal challenge this year, but we will probably have to wait until the fall when it’s cooler.

• Brian

July 19, 2023 at 10:29 am

Finn loves to get outside and go hiking, but generally it’s too hot or too long for him. But, we do pick some trails just for his enjoyment sometimes! He’s also not a stranger to some canoe/kayak time!

• Catherine (Kat)

July 19, 2023 at 11:01 am

Bella loves to be anywhere I am and she’s a little (4.5 pound) trooper when i get up early to hit the trail!

• Erica

July 19, 2023 at 11:02 am

My buddy, Dexter (Doberman), loves to hike. He lives for the adventure! Dexter is almost 2 years old with endless energy.

So far this year we’ve hiked North Fortuna, Monserate Mountain, Iron Mountain, Elfin Forest, Volcan Mountain, Corte Madera, Calavera Hills, Hot Springs Mountain, and Santa Margarita River Trail. Although I’d love to bring him on some of the longer and more difficult trails, I worry it will be too much for him (especially with the summer temperatures).

Pictured: Dexter hiking and then resting during the car rides home.

• Shannon Needoba

July 19, 2023 at 11:19 am

One of our fave hikes with one of my favorite foster dogs! My dogs like to hike too, but we take less photos 😂

• Tim

July 19, 2023 at 2:29 pm

Hi, this is Luna and she is 19 months old. Her mom was full black lab and dad was a silver lab. Half the littler silver, half the litter black.

I became a single dad two years ago and the kids and I picked her out. She has gone everywhere with us/me including the Oregon Coast, Southern Utah, Starbucks, the local amusement park, and definitely all the hikes.

I enjoy seeing everyone’s companions.

• Monilove

July 19, 2023 at 3:43 pm

Hello,

This is Harper, my mini Aussie. We’ve hiked in IN, TN, W. VA, and KY. We have NC, GA, and VA coming up.

• Laurie

July 19, 2023 at 4:02 pm

Elsie and I love hiking together! She’s my adventure buddy – hiking and paddleboarding. She’s a rescue from the Bahamas and we love her!

• Chelsee

July 20, 2023 at 5:33 pm

Roxy has been my best hiking companion! She is 12 years old but still up for an adventure!

• Candice

July 22, 2023 at 7:37 am

Last year I had to lay my ultimate hiking buddy to rest. In the recent years it was difficult for her to join me due to old age. 🙁 however I just borrow my parents or Brothers dog. Berlin ( GSD) has been hiking with me since I was pregnant with my son who is now 12. Now I just borrow my parents dog Molly ( heeler) the other GSD Billi used to go with me but she can’t handle longer hikes ( old doggie) and my brother recently got a black GSD Ava so I’ve taken her on 2 peaks so fair. Hiking with dogs is one of my favorites since I mostly go solo, and it makes me feel less alone 😂.

• Ben

July 23, 2023 at 9:40 am

Cash is my trail dog. At home, he’s off and on with me (I think because he may have been abused by his previous owner), but on the trail, he is my best bud. He gets so excited when we go hiking and I think he recognizes what’s going on when I start putting on my boots. I have a tradition to take selfies of us at our destinations. Here’s some pictures of us over the last year.

• Chris

July 25, 2023 at 7:00 am

Lesley and I have had fun this year hiking with our dog Robin! She really seems to love exploring and getting to new places and has enjoyed Cuyamaca, Corte Madera and Hot Springs so far.

• Dindy

July 25, 2023 at 7:41 pm

Hi! We have 6 dogs, here are a few. At times my husband can be found muttering, “Must love dogs…Must love dogs.” 😂 I usually hike alone and often have at least one with me. My first picture is one of Olivia on top of Barnes Butte. The second includes our GS, Tank, and our Husky, Dutch. The third picture includes Dutch, Tank and our Labradoodle, Marley. At one time, Marley joined me on every trail I went on, but she’ll be 13 in a few months and has slowed down quite a bit. I haven’t yet found a favorite trail to take my dogs on. For the most part, they love ANY trail, but I prefer the ones they can be on leash-free. We moved to the area almost 2 years ago from the Oregon Coast. In this new climate I worry about the dogs’ paws freezing in the winter and burning in the summer, something I never had to give a single thought to on the coast.

• SLange

July 26, 2023 at 6:50 pm

Dexter is my favorite hiking buddy, even though I have to carry him on longer, more intense, or hotter hikes (thankfully his a little guy). He loves the outdoors as much as I do and is always up for the next adventure. He’s explored many places in Arizona including Butcher Jones Park and Sedona. He was along for the Bear Mountain peak but will be staying home for the remainder of the summer peaks while still enjoying early morning and lighter hikes. We’re both eager for the excessive heat to break so we can resume our adventures together.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: