Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

• SocialHiker

Administrator
    January 30, 2023 at 1:55 pm

Hi Diego, and welcome to the challenge!

Many people find trekking poles very useful on long hikes like those in the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge. If you are a Costco member, they carry Cascade Mountain Tech carbon fiber trekking poles for a very good price. Once you get them, know how to adjust the height properly and use them correctly. We have some videos to help you over on our sister site SoCalHiker: Hiking with Trekking Poles.

As for other things to carry, I recommend carrying the 10 Essentials.

• Sean

February 1, 2023 at 5:21 pm

Hey Diego, I am a believer in hiking with poles. Not only for the support it provides on uneven terrain, I feel it helps me get in a cadence when I hike.

As far other gear, the ten essentials are important. They are designed to keep you safe and provide what you need for a good days hike. All my essentials can fit in a small day pack.

The other thing to remember is to either hike with a partner or at the very least let people know where you are hiking. Let them know what trail and about what time you plan to be off trail and back in cell service. Too many people are going out enjoying a hike and getting lost or hurt. Just let someone know.

Enjoy the challenge.

• Stuart

February 23, 2023 at 8:22 am

Can we take a jetboil to make a coffee at the top of a peak? Not sure if open flames are allowed at the peaks but it would kinda be my photo opp.

• Jeff

Administrator
      February 23, 2023 at 11:17 am

Yes you can. A Jetboil stove is not considered an open flame, because it has an on/off knob. You will need to get an annual campfire permit (free and online here:

https://www.readyforwildfire.org/permits/campfire-permit/)

With a CA Campfire Permit, you may use portable lanterns or stoves using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel.”

Of course, the governing agency can restrict that in time of high fire danger, so check with their website if in doubt.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: