Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A Looking for suggestions for a 13K or 14K peak in the Southwest!

• Looking for suggestions for a 13K or 14K peak in the Southwest!

Posted by Peggy on August 14, 2020 at 8:16 am

I recently finished my AZ Summer Six Pack challenge and I’m feeling very motivated to climb a higher peak since I finally conquered Humphrey’s Peak, in Flagstaff, AZ. At 12,633′, it’s the highest peak in AZ so I’ll have to look in a nearby state to hike 13K or 14K. Any recommendations from finishers in the CA or the Rockies challenges for a mountain peak in the Fall, where I can add around 1,000 Ft., but not too technically difficult for this newbie? Sunglasses

Jeff replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Robert Haeberle

September 28, 2020 at 11:12 am

There are a bunch of 14ers in Colorado. My son that lives in Denver says you can’t even see the mountains from Denver because of the fire. Congratulations on bagging the peak at Mt, Humphries. That is one that I am training for to do on my 64th birthday. (June 5, 2021) Then I’m going to go to CO, and do the highest 14er. I have always wanted to do Denali in Alaska, ‎20,146 ft. above sea level. I don’t know if I would be able to train up to that altitude.

• Jeff

Administrator
    September 28, 2020 at 4:17 pm

I would suggest Grays Peak in Colorado: https://socalhiker.net/hiking-grays-peak/

If you’re feeling ambitious, you can also add Torreys Peak on the same hike (two 14ers). October is shoulder season, and pretty much anything that high up is subject to snow, so consider yourself warned.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: