Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A NorCal Mt. Umunhum

• Posted by Kim Fraga on February 13, 2022 at 9:52 am

For those that have yet to do it, I have a suggestion. Parking is extremely limited. Park at the very top, at the summit and do the hike in reverse. I noticed someone on here did that very thing and being out there yesterday, we had that thought during out hike. Of course we made a huge mistake and parked at the bottom thinking that is where we were supposed to. We turned a 7.7 mile hike into a 17.77 mile hike. ??‍♀️? I finally realized the mileage at the bottom of each summit description on this website is round trip mileage and not one way. I know, I know. Lesson learned.

Tushar Agarwal replied 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Tushar Agarwal

March 14, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Can you share the map location of the parking lot at the top ?

• Jeff

Administrator
      March 14, 2022 at 3:52 pm

If you go to Challenges > NorCal you’ll get an overview of the six peaks in the challenge, with links to detailed trail guides.

Here’s a direct link to the page for Mount Umunhum, including turn-by-turn directions on Google Maps. If you use the Google Maps link, you can zoom in to see the parking lot at the top.

Note: driving to the top doesn’t count as hiking to the top. 😉

• Tushar Agarwal

March 15, 2022 at 3:05 pm

I hops walking back does 🙂

• Kim Fraga

March 14, 2022 at 4:37 pm

Just keep on driving and it will dead end into a parking lot. We didn’t know that and parked at the very bottom. There is another parking lot between the bottom and the very top. That is where you should park to do the 7.7 round trip hike. We hadn’t realized that. ??‍♀️? If you do park at the very top, where there is plenty of parking, you can do the hike just starting at the top down to the trailhead back to the top. Same hike, same miles, just in reverse.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: