Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A Order of peaks list

• Posted by Erikafambam on June 12, 2024 at 2:56 pm

I’m a newbie to this and I’m a little confused. I got the list of peaks and there’s 12. Can we randomly select the peaks we would like to do or do they need to be follow in a specific order?

Jeff replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Eric

June 12, 2024 at 3:40 pm

You can complete any six in any order you’d like. Although the original six were progressively more difficult.

I’m assuming you’re asking about the SoCal peaks. Check out socalhiker.net for some great trail write-ups on the original six if you haven’t already.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Eric.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Eric.
    • Erikafambam

June 12, 2024 at 3:42 pm

Thank you my goal was to do all 12 of them, but just wanted to make sure if I needed to follow the list in its order!!!

• Eric

June 12, 2024 at 3:45 pm

All 12 is a great goal! Have fun!

• Jeff

Administrator
      June 12, 2024 at 7:24 pm

Eric nailed it.

The “original” six peaks were used to help me train for the John Muir Trail, and went in order of maximum elevation:

1. Mount Wilson
      2. Cucamonga Peak
      3. Mount San Antonio (aka Mount Baldy)
      4. San Bernardino Peak
      5. San Jacinto Peak
      6. San Gorgonio

Some years, one or more peaks have been inaccessible due to wildfires. Plus, we have people who have completed the challenge multiple times (including some that are completing the challenge for their 10th consecutive year!). To keep it fresh, we added six alternative peaks. The rules are simple; you can pick any six of the 12 peaks in the SoCal Challenge, and hike them in any sequence, from any trailhead. The goal is to do something that would be challenging for YOU. Everyone’s challenge will be different in that sense.

There’s a few variations that people use to keep it interesting, including trying to finish within a certain period (six weeks or even six days), or completing them all as overnight backpacking trips. We have some who have trained to gain winter mountaineering skills and climbed them in winter conditions. Lots of options.

Have fun and grow through the experience!

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: