Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

• Posted by DeEdra on October 2, 2021 at 8:27 pm

I see it says the best time to hike this peak is June-October. How much of a risk for snow/ice is there in the beginning of November? Or any other concerns for a November hike.

Also, at the rate my group and I usually hike, I think we’ll need to break this trail up into two days. Any advice/tips on camping out on this trail?

DeEdra replied 2 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DeEdra

October 2, 2021 at 8:37 pm

One more thing, I’ve seen different info regarding getting a wilderness permit for this hike and San Jacinto. What is the best method for obtaining a permit?

• Jeff

Administrator
    October 5, 2021 at 6:07 pm

Hi DeEdra!

I’ve backpacked overnight up San Gorgonio several times. October and November are the “shoulder season” which means the weather can be unpredictable. You can use Mountain Forecast to get an idea of what the weather will be like on the summit. Right now snow showers are predicted for this Friday morning! https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/San-Gorgonio/forecasts/3505

November CAN be wonderful, but almost certainly be cold at night (and possibly during the day as well). Keep in mind that daylight savings time ends in November, and the days are much shorter.

All that being said, I’ve camped at High Creek. I setup my tent for the night, then carried a lighter pack to the summit in the morning and hiked all the way out on Day 2 (stopping to break camp). There is usually some water at High Creek, though filtering or other form of purification is always recommended.

For overnight permits on San Gorgonio, start here and follow the prompts: https://permits.sgwa.org

• Jaclyn

October 8, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Thank you, Jeff. I had the same question, and this was really helpful!

• DeEdra

October 9, 2021 at 7:40 am

Thanks for the info Jeff.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: