Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A San Gorgonio Peak

  • Posted by Crystalmdav on July 17, 2018 at 12:24 pm

    We were planning to plan hike San Gorgonio the first weekend of August but now I’m not sure it will be open or even when the fire will be contained. Will an alternate be posted? Not sure how long we should wait to see if the fire is contained and the area will be safe to hike anytime soon.

    Cecil Crudo replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jeff

    Administrator
    July 17, 2018 at 1:01 pm

    Hi Crystal,

    I posted details on the fire closure in the SoCal challengers-only forum here: https://socialhiker.net/challenges/2018-socal-six-pack-of-peaks-challenge/forum/topic/san-bernardino-peak-and-san-gorgonio-peak-closure/

    We will be keeping an eye on things and update as information becomes available. If for some reason, San Gorgonio and San Bernardino will remain closed beyond the end of July, the “fire modified” Six-Pack of Peaks will be: Mt Wilson, Ontario Peak, Cucamonga Peak, Mt Baden-Powell, Mt Baldy and Mt San Jacinto.

    – Jeff

  • Cecil Crudo

    Member
    July 20, 2018 at 11:49 am

    Hi all,

    I received a call from the ranger station the other day letting me know that the permit that we have for San G and San Berdu in August is no longer valid due to the fire. He further said that the San Gorgonio Wilderness may be closed for some time (indefinitely).

    Hope that was helpful.

    Thanks.