Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

• Jeff

Administrator
    August 13, 2021 at 11:45 am

A lot of people have hiked Sawmill Mountain. https://socialhiker.net/six-pack-peaks-challenge/southern-california/2021-hike-logs/sawmill-mountain/

It’s a lot easier than the original six peaks, but many people make it an extra challenge by completing the 3-2-1 Challenge, hiking Grouse, Sawmill and Mt Pinos in one day. That’s three peaks, in two counties (including the highpoints of both) all in one day.

Sawmill Mountain Hike Logs

• Rob

August 13, 2021 at 7:20 pm

I did it about a month ago and I really liked the hike. The drive to the trailhead was a bit far (from western San Bernardino County for me) but I thought it was actually worth it. Not sure about other ways to do it but I did the Mt. Pinos Nordic Base > Mt. Pinos > Sawmill (and then continued to Grouse). The one thing that I did find different about it – you do most of your climbing on the way back.

• Aldrin

August 22, 2021 at 7:05 pm

Is the parking open at 5am and do you need a parking permit? Thanks

• Jungmin

August 26, 2021 at 1:19 am

The parking lot is huge and open 24/7. I put a Adventure pass out, but when I returned, most if not all the cars did not have any passes.

• Aldrin

August 26, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Thanks

• Aldrin

August 31, 2021 at 9:17 pm

Does anyone know if sawmill peak is closed due to Forest closure. Thanks

• Jeff

Administrator
      September 5, 2021 at 9:18 am

Yes, it’s closed until at least September 17th as it’s in National Forest.

• Caroline

September 4, 2021 at 6:55 pm

Sawmill is in Los Padres National Forest, so I assume it’s inaccessible right now due to the national forest closures in Southern California. That said — when the forests reopen, I highly recommend it. The terrain was really unique for SoCal (pine forests as opposed to more desert-like terrain), as was the Pinos-Sawmill hike itself, given that it involved a descent between the mountains before the final summit.

• Aldrin

September 5, 2021 at 8:42 pm

Great. Thanks for the info

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: