Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Summer of Adventure – Share your Goals!

• Summer of Adventure – Share your Goals!

Posted by Jeff on May 14, 2023 at 12:41 pm

How are you making your summer an adventurous one?

Here are a few adventures I have lined up:

• Thru-hiking the Coast-to-Coast Walk across England (technically in spring)
    • Completing the Central Oregon Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge (and maybe one more if I can squeeze it in)
    • Backpacking in the Sierra Mountains
    • Backpacking the Timberline Trail around Mount Hood
    • At least one bikepacking trip

What’s are some of your adventure goals for this summer?

Enrique replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 12 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Enrique

May 14, 2023 at 4:05 pm

On our way to Jordan for a six day trek-15 miles a day from Petra to the awdiRum Desert! Stoked!!

• Jeff

Administrator
      May 16, 2023 at 10:22 pm

Sounds epic! I’ve had friends visit Jordan and report an amazing experience.

• Enrique

July 5, 2023 at 8:51 pm

It was epic!! If you ever want to do it, i have tge whole scoop as fR as best trek and outfitters. You need a guide. No marked trails

• Zachary

May 14, 2023 at 4:46 pm

• Complete the SoCal 6 Pack challenge

• Backpack to the Mount Whitney Summit

• Backpacking Kalalau Trail on Napali Coast, Kauai (Labor Day)

• Hike the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim (October)

Perhaps a bit ambitious but we are going for it this year! Hope to make some friends along the way!!

• Jeff

Administrator
      May 16, 2023 at 10:23 pm

When is your Whitney climb?

• Zachary

May 24, 2023 at 8:36 am

Hoping for late July – early August. Need some help from the permit gods…

• Robert

May 25, 2023 at 8:30 am

Good luck I have not gotten a permit in the last 3 years

• Zachary

May 28, 2023 at 11:59 am

Where do you think you’ve gone wrong? Is the walk up system difficult?

• Zachary

May 28, 2023 at 12:12 pm

After reviewing the permit page for Sequioa, the permit period ends 9/23 so permits are a non factor. I will just need some help from the actual gods to keep the weather clear!

• Jennifer

June 21, 2023 at 3:37 pm

A search showed positive results recently. Saw some permits available. Both for overnight and for day hiking. Check back often.

• Laura

June 30, 2023 at 7:04 am

I’m also aiming to do R2R in early October. I did it last fall, and it was hard, but epic! I’ll try going North to South this time, I think.

• Chris

May 14, 2023 at 8:22 pm

Very cool to read the trips and goals you guys have in front of you! Ambitious & awesome!

• Elise

May 21, 2023 at 6:42 am

I’ll be excited just to finish our Arizona Summer 6 pack challenge. Humphreys has always been a “I can’t do that” hike and I will do it this Fall. It may take that long for the snow to melt. 🤠

• Jeff

Administrator
      May 21, 2023 at 10:23 am

We are cheering for you!

• Elise

May 21, 2023 at 11:05 am

Thanks!! 🤠

• Betty

June 29, 2023 at 4:55 pm

You can do it! Slow and steady. I’ve done it twice. The second time was easier than the first. Don’t let anyone get in your head on this one. Not too much snow right now.

• Michael Winstandley

June 3, 2023 at 3:32 pm

After skipping a few years of overseas multi-day treks due to the pandemic, we’re headed to Switzerland this August to hike the Haute Route. Very much looking forward to it. (btw: we hiked 2/3 of the Coast to Coast in 2019 and had a great time).

“Locally”, I was planning a Half Dome hike at Yosemite, a trip down the Narrows at Zion, and a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim hike, all later this month. But a combination of damage from the winter snow/storms and excess snow currently in the mountains have caused us to cancel the GC, and I bet Half Dome and the Narrows will soon be canceled as well.

• John

June 14, 2023 at 10:08 pm

My goal for the year was to summit 5 PNW volcanoes, and I still have 2 remaining. So I have a bit of work cut out for me there, but other than that, just hike my heart out!

• Tricia

June 27, 2023 at 8:39 pm

We will be taking part in – and hopefully successfully completing – the National 24-hour 3 Peaks Challenge in the UK in a couple weeks. This challenge comprises climbing the highest mountain in Scotland, England, and Wales, all in 24 hours. I’m hoping taking part in the New England Six Pack Peaks Challenge will help me prepare for this summer adventure!

• Jeff

Administrator
      June 29, 2023 at 10:15 pm

Can you share a link with info on the 3 Peaks Challenge? I’m intrigued. 🤔

• Tricia

June 30, 2023 at 11:56 am

Hello. Yes!

We are doing the 24 hour National 3 Peaks challenge with Active Mountaineering in Scottland. Below is their website and information about the challenge (and other challenges).

National 3 Peaks Route & 24-Hour Challenge UK | Active Mountaineering

There are a number of organizations that provide a guided service for this challenge. Below is one we looked at as well, but they booked quickly. Doing the challenge with a group is particularly useful due to the amount of driving between the peaks. However, there are those who do it solo – hike and drive – which is amazing.

National Three Peaks Challenge

National Three Peaks Challenge – Wikipedia

• Jeff

Administrator
      June 30, 2023 at 1:20 pm

Thanks, Tricia! Looks pretty fun. Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: