Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

• Posted by Dpeterson14 on May 22, 2024 at 2:47 pm

Is it possible to complete all Six Summits within 2 days given each trek and drive times between trailheads?

What’s the best order of treks to reduce drive time between each trailhead?

Jeff replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jeff

Administrator
    May 22, 2024 at 3:32 pm

Hey Darryl,

I saw that you are signed up for both the SoCal and the San Diego challenges. I’m going to guess that you’re referring to doing the original six peaks from the SoCal challenge: Mount Wilson, Cucamonga Peak, San Antonio (Mt Baldy), San Bernardino, San Jacinto and San Gorgonio.

First, this has been done in less than 48 hours a number of years ago by two guys.

If you’re looking for efficiency, I’d probably do them in this order:

San Jacinto (furthest east)

San Gorgonio and San Bernardino (you can connect these two via the ridge, if you are supported)

Cucamonga Peak and San Antonio (Mt Baldy) – these two are close, but I wouldn’t bother trying to hike between them. Just do them as two hikes.

Mount Wilson – This is the lowest and furthest west.

This order travels roughly from the east to the west, and groups hikes that are close to each other. As I mention, San Gorgonio and San Bernardino can be done together (I’ve done this as an overnight backpack trip), but to be efficient, you’d start and end at different trailheads. If you have a support vehicle, that would work.

Speaking of which, I strongly advise having a support team to handle the driving between trailheads, and bring one or two changes of shoes and socks.

• Dpeterson14

May 22, 2024 at 4:50 pm

You’re correct, I was referring to and asking about the Original Six Peaks Challenge.

Thank you for all the great insight and recommendations. I’m planning this endeavor on 8-9 June with June being my 46th Birthday Celebration!

• Dpeterson14

May 28, 2024 at 4:22 pm

Hey Jeff,

Another question, after researching each of these peaks I’ve encountered different distances and elevation +/- and am wondering if there are specific trailheads that are start points for each peak in order to ensure the challenge has been met?

• Jeff

Administrator
      June 2, 2024 at 1:15 pm

Not really. Obviously for some there are not many options, but most will use the fastest/shortest route.

Mount Wilson – Currently the Mt Wilson Trail

Cucamonga Peak – via Icehouse Canyon

Mt Baldy – via Manker Flats > Ski Hut

San Bernardino – San Bernardino Trail

San Jacinto – Via Tram > Wellman’s Divide

San Gorgonio – Vivian Creek

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: