Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A What would you do different?

• What would you do different?

Posted by Stuart on February 23, 2023 at 4:37 pm

I am just starting the SoCal 6 Peaks. What order would you do if you are relatively new to hiking peaks? Any wisdom you want to share would be appreciated. Hiking groups you recommend? I know I will be slow….

Shana replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Shana

February 23, 2023 at 7:18 pm

1. Sawmill

2. Strawberry (not in the summer)

3. Sitton (not in the summer)

4. San Jacinto via the tram

5. Santiago (not in the summer) drive halfway up

6. Your choice of the rest…😉

• Stuart

February 24, 2023 at 8:29 am

Thank you Shana! I appreciate the time for the wonderful list.

Did you find a group to hike with or did you do them Solo?

• Shana

February 25, 2023 at 9:34 am

I’ve done them with friends and with my hiking group. Most of them are fine to go solo. The only SoCal peaks my group are doing this year is sawmill because we do the 321 challenge and we do Baldy for the climb for heroes in Nov. Our group is doing the Central Coast 6 pack this year. Good luck!

• Stuart

February 25, 2023 at 10:55 am

Great info. I intend to do most of mine solo but I wondered if that was an error in judgement. Thanks and happy hiking!

• Shana

February 25, 2023 at 12:25 pm

Most of them are pretty crowded so you won’t be alone on the trail. Sawmill and San Jacinto should be done in the summer after the snow melts. The rest should be done in the winter/fall because they are all exposed. Strawberry may have snow and you should wait until that melts, but don’t wait too long because it’s all exposed to the sun.

• Jeff

Administrator
    February 24, 2023 at 8:44 am

For finding people to hike with, that’s actually the subject of our next online Happy Hour on March 9th. Check the events calendar for details.

As for the sequence, Shana shared some great advice. The higher peaks will likely be unhikeable until the snow melts (June?).

• Stuart

February 24, 2023 at 8:49 am

Yep, I am keeping an eye on the weather. I am not experienced so I am cautious. Eventually I hope to hike more in all conditions etc… Partial PCT would be my dream, maybe the Muir. I would like to develop a network of fellow hikers to group with so a social event is perfect, I will check it out. Thank you!

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: