Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ Q&A Yesterday, on San Bernardino Peak

• Anush K.

January 22, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Hi Jeff, that’s a great picture ! What a great accomplishment!
    I’m planning to hike San Bernardino Peak in two weeks. It’s between that and Baden-Powel. Can you please tell me how the conditions are? Any suggestions/recommendations?
    I’ve never hiked Baden-Powel either so I’ll appreciate your thoughts if you’ve hiked that peak.

• Jeff

Administrator
    January 23, 2018 at 5:44 pm

[quote quote=3494]Hi Jeff, that’s a great picture ! What a great accomplishment!
    I’m planning to hike San Bernardino Peak in two weeks. It’s between that and Baden-Powel. Can you please tell me how the conditions are? Any suggestions/recommendations?
    I’ve never hiked Baden-Powel either so I’ll appreciate your thoughts if you’ve hiked that peak.[/quote]Thanks Anush, but I can’t take credit for the photo — it’s not me, just another Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger.

I haven’t hiked any of the SoCal peaks yet this year, and probably won’t until this summer. I suggest you take a look at the hike logs. You can see the hike info and photos by the date of the hike, and you can filter to see just Baden-Powell or San Bernardino. That’s one way to get up-to-date info. You can also leave a comment on the hike log, to ask for more details on trail conditions.

Generally speaking, these peaks USUALLY have snow on them this time of year. When the peaks are covered with snow and ice, it’s no longer just “hiking” — it’s winter mountaineering. Are you ready for that? Have you been through a winter mountaineering skills course (REI has them, as do others)?

• Anush K.

February 8, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Hi Jeff. Thank you for all the information!
    I haven’t taken any classes but I watched a lot of videos on YouTube. We did San Bernardino last Saturday, and even though there was snow it wasn’t too bad because there was a path that was laid by other hikers. I think the crampons would have not been any help because there was hardly any ice at the higher altitude. We had very warm weather a week or two and the trails were covered in powder snow. We were wearing microspikes and had our poles, and I will absolutely recommend people to have at least those when hiking in snow.

• Leigh T

February 9, 2018 at 4:25 pm

I haven’t hiked San B and San G since the new day hike quota restrictions have been limited. But I need clarification from those who have hiked it recently.
    From the SGWA website: “Effective 9/1/17 Day Hikes will not be limited to a quota. All Day Hikes have become available for each date in the calendar. If you were previously denied for a Day Hike, you can resubmit your request to get approval. Self Issue forms will also be available for all open trails.”

My question is: are those self issue forms actually available at the trailhead/parking lots or only at the Mill Creek Ranger Station? ie if I’m doing San B from Angelus Oaks, can I still drive straight to the trailhead and fill out a form there, or do I have to go to the Ranger station first? Thanks!!

• Anush K.

February 10, 2018 at 1:05 am

[quote quote=4412]I haven’t hiked San B and San G since the new day hike quota restrictions have been limited. But I need clarification from those who have hiked it recently.
    From the SGWA website: “Effective 9/1/17 Day Hikes will not be limited to a quota. All Day Hikes have become available for each date in the calendar. If you were previously denied for a Day Hike, you can resubmit your request to get approval. Self Issue forms will also be available for all open trails.”

My question is: are those self issue forms actually available at the trailhead/parking lots or only at the Mill Creek Ranger Station? ie if I’m doing San B from Angelus Oaks, can I still drive straight to the trailhead and fill out a form there, or do I have to go to the Ranger station first? Thanks!![/quote]

Hi Leigh! You don’t have to file for Day Hike at San Bernardino. They recommend it for the rangers to have your information in case something happens but it’s not required. However, if you are planning to camp there then you absolutely have to file the form. I’ve faxed the form ahead of time because it said on the form that it may take up to 5 days to process (we didn’t camp though.) You have to have the Adventure Pass though to park at the trailhead- that you can buy at any sport store or at the station.
    Regarding the trailhead- there is nobody at the trailhead so either drive to the station or fax it ahead of time. You can find the form on Angeles Nation Forest’s website.
    By the way, the last part of the road to the trailhead at Angelus Oaks is pretty sketchy. It’s a pretty much a dirt road so be ready and take your time.
    Good luck at San B.- it’s a tough but a stunning hike!

• Dave Stimson

February 27, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Just got SB overnight permit for a late April peak bagging and backpacking trip…no issues – faxed application and within hour emailed back! Confirmed!

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: