Welcome to the 12-Week Hike Fit Challenge! Introduce yourself.

• Welcome to the 12-Week Hike Fit Challenge! Introduce yourself.

Posted by SocialHiker on December 30, 2022 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for joining our first 12-Week Hike Fit Challenge!

The goal is to make it easy for you to get and stay fit for hiking, regardless of your current fitness level. This is a great way to get in shape for the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge or other big adventures you have planned.

What are your goals for the challenge? Hit reply and let us know what you're training for.

Jessica replied 1 year, 6 months ago 20 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Chris

Challenger
    December 31, 2022 at 8:46 am

I'll be using the Fit Challenge as well as the San Diego Six Peaks Challenge to prepare ultimately for a Yosemite 4 day backcountry trip where we will summit, camp and traverse El Capitan in June. But before all that using it for preparation for my first 5K & Tough Mudder in April and also skydive wingsuit training that I have taking place in February in Sweden. And just fun and adventure while trying to stay fit.

• Jeff

Organizer
      December 31, 2022 at 9:57 am

Wing suit?! 🤯 What's next? BASE jumping?

• Chris

Challenger
      December 31, 2022 at 10:43 am

I think I would love too, BUT it takes a full life commitment to it and something that you have to do to be happy. There's no way to make it safe so you have to be willing to die to do it. I'm just not there. I have a blast just being able to jump out of a plane whenever I want so I'm just sticking with that.

• Eduardo Cortez

Challenger
    December 31, 2022 at 8:50 am

I'm Eddie,love hiking and will be using this challenge to prepare for Cactus 2 the Clouds in May. My sister and I are hoping to be done with our six peaks by then.

• Lesley

December 31, 2022 at 8:56 am

My goals are to build fitness to reduce the chance if injury. I want to continue to play outdoors in as many ways as possible!

• Jeff

Organizer
    December 31, 2022 at 9:54 am

I'm in! I've been working too much the past two months, and I generally prefer cardio to strength training. I'll do a walk, a hike, a bike ride, or even an indoor cycling workout before I'll do strength training. Not sure why, but that's been my modus operandi for a long while. Hoping to mix it up a bit, and 2-3 strength workouts a week feels pretty manageable.

I'm also going to be working on flexibility, which isn't specifically addressed by these workouts, but helps me. I have a basic Iyangar yoga practice that I can share if anyone is interested.

• Chris

Challenger
      December 31, 2022 at 10:46 am

I would be interested in your yoga program if it's pretty beginner & basic. More flexibility would help in basically everything I do.

• Susan

Challenger
    December 31, 2022 at 10:04 am

Super excited about this. Thanks for organizing. I’m also a personal trainer and I love fitness. I’ve been currently doing full body weight workouts, three times a week and cardio four times. Getting ready to move to San Juan Capistrano in January if remodel is complete. I am signed up for the San Diego six pack, which I did two years ago and I’m also thinking about doing the rim to rim. Happy trails and happy new year everybody, be safe.

• Christopher

Challenger
    December 31, 2022 at 11:03 am

Hello Everyone, After a very busy fall I fell out of my normal hiking routine. Last summer I was in shape for the Tahoe Rim Trail but covid messed up the group plans so I did a solo hike the Trans Catalina Trail Instead. This week I was super excited to have received a permit for the JMT in early June! Immediate goals are to get into excellent shape for that.

• Eddie

Challenger
    January 1, 2023 at 8:13 am

I have a goal to do Shasta this year, probably around the end of July. I am going to use the hike-fit challenge to jump start strength and core training while working on cardio for endurance.

• Diane Eldridge

Challenger
    January 1, 2023 at 8:55 am

Hi my name is Diane, my first goal of the year to to train and be prepared for the Rae lakes hike in July.

• Christina

Challenger
    January 1, 2023 at 10:15 am

Hello!

I'm Christina and I'm looking to get in better shape so I can hike longer/more elevation vs the more “flat” hikes. Planning to use this as a general way to get more in shape for hiking again with potential plans for backpacking transcatalina in the fall and hopefully the six pack of peaks!

• Jaclyn

Challenger
    January 1, 2023 at 1:45 pm

Howdy! I am using the 12-week challenge to be more intentional in my workouts. I look forward to gaining strength and am thankful for the structured workout ideas.

• Christina

Challenger
    January 1, 2023 at 6:00 pm

Hello
    all! Happy New Year! I am using this challenge to change up my workouts, get more fit, and to
    become a more efficient hiker. I also have a Grand Canyon hike planned for
    April along Bright Angel Trail. Thank you for offering this challenge!

• Patty

Challenger
    January 2, 2023 at 6:19 am

Hello! I'm using the 12 week challenge to get in shape for longer hikes. Our local ladies hiking group often does 10+ mile hikes and I've always been a 3-4 mile hiker, mostly because I'm usually with my kids (youngest is 6). I'm hoping to get to the point where I'm comfortable joining them on the longer hikes.

• Shana

Challenger
    January 2, 2023 at 2:03 pm

Hi! Just helping me get back to my workout routine as I train for the 6 pack central coast and a JMT section hike this summer.

• Sue Haegele

Challenger
    January 3, 2023 at 11:10 am

Hi! Needed a jump start to get me back into hiking shape. I don't have any specific hikes planned yet this year, but planning on doing some peak hikes and hopefully some dream hikes out of the country.

• Nadine

Challenger
    January 3, 2023 at 11:26 am

Hi guys! I hiked the PCT in 2022 and I'm lucky to have a strong body so I didn't have any issues/injuries during my hike. But since I'm back home and “just” go to the gym and hike once every 1-2 weeks my body is pretty sore after every workout and hike 💩 Maybe I'll get some inspirations and help here 😆

Page 1 of 2

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: