Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

• Posted by Debra G. on April 25, 2018 at 11:05 am

I am hiking Baldy this Saturday, April 28th. Did anyone hike Baldy last weekend? If so how was the weather?

Also, I have studied google earth map and from what I can see, parking at Manker Flats is street or median parking. Is that correct or there an obvious parking lot that I should look for that I am not seeing on google earth?

Thank you!
    Debra

Christina replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jeff

Administrator
    April 25, 2018 at 4:36 pm

[quote quote=8190]I am hiking Baldy this Saturday, April 28th. Did anyone hike Baldy last weekend? If so how was the weather?

Also, I have studied google earth map and from what I can see, parking at Manker Flats is street or median parking. Is that correct or there an obvious parking lot that I should look for that I am not seeing on google earth?

Thank you!

Debra[/quote]Hi Debra! Be sure to check out the latest hike logs for Mt Baldy here: https://socialhiker.net/six-pack-peaks-challenge/southern-california/2018-hike-logs/mount-baldy-hike-logs/

Based on what other challengers have reported, there are still patches of snow, but nothing on the trail. You can always leave a comment on anyone’s hike log to get more info.

Also, Manker Flats is not a parking lot. Along that area you’ll see cars parked on both sides of the street and in the median. It’s pretty obvious once you’re there. šŸ˜‰

• Ken Knecht

April 25, 2018 at 5:11 pm

I just hiked it today. Just a few very small patches of snow with no effect on the trail. Crossed Devil’s Backbone and down Ski Hut. Ski Hut seemed to have a lot more loose rocks on it then previously. DB also had some really narrow sections on the steep part that I don’t remember previously. Most people were hiking in shorts except the last 500′ from summit when wind picked up and felt around high 40’s. Saw a bighorn sheep which was cool. Layer clothing and check weather before you go since it can change quite a bit from day to day. I know this weekend is suppose to be 20 degrees colder then today unless I read it wrong. But you shouldn’t have any problems at all. If you are going on Sunday, April 28th, I would highly recommend getting there about 6-6:30am. Parking fills up really fast on weekend.

• Debra G.

April 26, 2018 at 6:54 am

Thank you Jeff. Good advise, I will check out the blogs.

Thank you Ken. Your info is very helpful. I had read a couple weeks ago on my FB page that one area had some loose rocks. And good note about the very narrow section on DBB.

I will blog after my hike.

Cheers!
    Debra

• Debra G.

April 29, 2018 at 1:52 pm

I did it! Hiked Baldy yesterday and just logged all the details. I also got a good photo of my friend walking past the very narrow section and posted it. Cheers!

Thanks again for the heads up!

Debra

• Christina

July 6, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Hi,
    I’m hiking Mt. Baldy this Tuesday, July 10th and the weather is showing rain for the whole day. Has anyone hiked it in the rain? How are the conditions in the rain? I hiked Mt. Wilson in the rain and the trail was fine but I know Mt. Baldy is really steep and exposed. I’m taking Ski Hut Trail to the summit and coming down Devil’s Backbone. Any input would be appreciated! šŸ™‚ Thanks!
    ~C

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: