Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

  • Mt. Cucomonga

  • Rob Rummel

    February 21, 2018 at 11:29 am

    Looking at hiking Cucomonga this Saturday for Peak#2.Aside from being cold anyone know if there is snow up there? Would we need crampons?

  • Tyler Glowacz

    February 21, 2018 at 5:12 pm

    [quote quote=5125]Looking at hiking Cucomonga this Saturday for Peak#2.Aside from being cold anyone know if there is snow up there? Would we need crampons?[/quote]

    I'm thinking of doing the same.
    It looks like it's getting some more snow tomorrow and maybe Friday.


  • AlAnCap

    February 22, 2018 at 2:33 am

    There is usually snow on the north face this time of year. It was enough to stop me from completing it last year. I would check the recent hikers logs before you leave and ask questions there. I'm hoping to get it in on Monday.

  • Marc Machin

    February 22, 2018 at 3:04 pm

    I did it this past Saturday and past Icehouse Saddle, there was a good couple of inches of snow. In the morning some places were a bit icy while in the afternoon it was all slushy. Many people used micro-spikes (I was able to manage without though). That said, I believe it snowed on Sunday up there, and I think either last night or the night before but I don't know how much…

  • Rob Rummel

    February 23, 2018 at 9:38 am

    Going to reschedule for next Saturday. Looks like there might be more snow coming.

  • inspiralmom

    February 27, 2018 at 10:11 pm

    Would love to bag this peak as well! Would anyone like to form a group to meet for this Saturday? How long does this hike usually take?


  • Rob Rummel

    February 28, 2018 at 9:59 am

    @inspiralmom Looks like snow and showers Friday and Saturday. Will have to reschedule AGAIN.
    Is the https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Cucamonga-Peak/forecasts/2700 the preferred way of checking weather conditions?
    looking for suggestions on getting accurate weather forecasts and conditions.

  • Tyler Glowacz

    March 1, 2018 at 9:38 am

    I have been in the same dilemma this last week. I'm considering just going it alone this weekend (maybe Sunday after the rains) It's probably only going to rain more over the next 2 months or so (historically speaking). That just means even more snow is in the future at higher elevations, and I don't want to wait for late summer for everything to melt. I'll be back in Europe by then. Anyway, I can always turn around and try again later if it's unsafe.

  • Ksstratton

    March 7, 2018 at 9:16 pm

    Just hiked Cucamonga Tuesday the 6th. While there are definitely snow conditions the top half of the trail, as long as you have micro spikes and cold weather gear you should be ok. Hiking through the snow though can be physically exhausting so be prepared!

  • Sandy

    March 12, 2018 at 1:56 pm

    We hiked CucAmonga on Saturday March 10th, in 8.5 hours roundtrip. It was rainy around Icehouse Saddle and snowing at the summit. I would hold out for a sunny day just because the views are amazing on this peak. Also, be sure to crawl inside the mine and check it out. You can stand up and walk around inside

  • Ken Knecht

    April 26, 2018 at 8:36 am

    I just hiked Baldy yesterday and there were just a couple tiny patches of snow and that's right next to Cucamonga and a couple thousand feet higher so I can't imagine you would have any snow up there. You can always call the ranger station and ask them. They always have up to date information.

  • Rob Rummel

    April 28, 2018 at 8:13 am

    After several cancellations and one failed attempt going to give it a shot tomorrow Sunday. Plan on hitting the trail-head 08:00.

Viewing 1 - 12 of 12 posts

Log in to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018