Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Tagged: ,

• Tyler Glowacz

February 14, 2018 at 10:49 am

[quote quote=4630]Thank you so much Tyler! That is very helpful. I spent some time yesterday, reading, cutting, pasting and printing out maps. I cannot wait! I will post about our hike on Monday morning while I put my legs up and sip some coffee.[/quote]

No problem! Glad that helped. Just remember if you come down the side I was talking about that starts at the parking lot below the cosmic cafe (its very burnt from the fires), you will see the back of the hogees camp and chantry flat sign first. So when I say it’s a left, that is a left as if you are facing the sign reading it. Also just so you know, if you go up the mountain the same way that takes you to the falls, there is plenty of places to filter water and an actual refill station at the top and at least one on the trail I think (look in the campgrounds). I wouldn’t have carried as much water if I had know that, but the 3 liters I took lasted me to the top with about a half liter to spare and I drink a lot of water. My wife on the other hand drank only a little over a liter ascending so how much water to take is all relative to you, Just know you will be able to fill up at certain points.

• Debra G.

February 20, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Happy Tuesday! I wanted to give everyone an update on my hike up Wilson this past Saturday, Feb 18th. First, thank you to EVERYONE for your notes and advise. It came in handy. The weather was PERFECT! We could not have chosen a better day to hike Wilson.

We started from Chantry Flats and took the trail to the right to Sturtavent Camp. Advise: There is a large bolder/rock about 30 feet in that you have to climb up and over. It can be deceiving so you might think that it is not a trail. I actually questioned if this was the trail. It is! Walking along the creek and above the water falls was beautiful, but there was a section of the trail that looks like a recent rock slide occurred. We literally scaled the wall at this spot. I am attaching a photo so you can see it. Be very careful and take note that some sections of this part of the hike is only 18″ wide with a drop down on one side. If you are afraid of heights, this might be a little sketchy for you. But this was the most scenic part of the hike.

Once the trail opened up and we made it to the camp, we hung out for a bit and drank some complementary tea that the lovely lady who was running the camp was offering. You CAN REFILL or top off your water here. This is the last place to top off your water before you get to the top. Also, just before arriving at the camp, you will see two shacks with toilets. If you are brave enough to go in them, these are the last public toilets before you reach the top. The smell was awful so we preferred to be one with nature. The remaining 2.8 miles is a thigh burner, but alas we arrived at the summit. It was beautiful. We ate lunch at the tables under the pavilion where Cosmos cafe is located. The cafe is still closed but there is a water refill station in one of the corners. It is blue and looks fairly new. The toilets up here are nice, clean and they have TP.

We easily found the trail down back down. The trail head is located at the end of the main parking lot where the cement blocks are placed to stop cars from going over the look out point. It was easy to find our way down, passing through the burnt section and past the newer fire roads, until we came to the very nice and modern wood bench that is under a tree. There are two trails here. One to the right and one to the left. Take the one to the left just next to the bench if you are going back to Chantry Flats. I have no clue where the other trail leads. There is not a sign at this location.

We casually made our way down until we got to the Upper Trail sign. We took the Upper trial to the right which took us back up the hill a ways. Thank you Tyler for letting me know that it goes up hill a bit because I would have been concerned that I was on the wrong trail. This was a beautiful 3 mile hike back to the picnic tables. I highly recommend this over the lower creek trail and the awful paved road. I heard there was a bear on the lower creek trail so I am glad we chose to go in this direction. We hiked 15 miles total and our moving time was 8 hours and 12 seconds. We also arrived at the parking lot at 6:25am and just missed the last spot so we parked just outside the lot on the street.

Good Luck to those who will be hiking Wilson!

• peeklay

February 21, 2018 at 3:16 pm

[quote quote=5090] Take the one to the left just next to the bench if you are going back to Chantry Flats. I have no clue where the other trail leads. There is not a sign at this location.

[/quote]

Good callout on taking the trail left at the new bench.

I did want to let people know that there actually is a sign. I hiked it yesterday and there is a sign on the right as you head downhill (across from the bench) but it is facing the trail that goes to Sierra Madre. When you walk by it, it looks like nothing but a metal plate on a pole. ha.

• Frank

April 9, 2018 at 11:51 am

Hiking Mt. Wilson this sunday what gps can you use for iphone, first time hiker.

Thx

• Marc

April 9, 2018 at 12:12 pm

I also use Gaia GPS on my iPhone.

• Debra G.

April 9, 2018 at 11:59 am

Hi Frank,

I highly recommend that you download the app AllTrails and pay for the subscription. With the subscription, you can download the GPX which will help you keep track if you are still on the trail or wandered off. You can also use it on airplane mode. Wilson is usually pretty crowded on the weekends so you will have plenty of people around you hiking the same trail. Arrive by 6am so you can get parking in the lot, otherwise you can street park right outside the lot. You will also need an Adventure Pass to park in the lot. Bring plenty of water and food including a sandwich for lunch.

Good luck!!
    Debra

• Jeff

Administrator
    April 9, 2018 at 2:19 pm

[quote quote=6944]Hiking Mt. Wilson this sunday what gps can you use for iphone, first time hiker.

Thx[/quote]Don’t even think about it — get GaiaGPS. I use it for recording all the tracks at SoCalHiker.net. You can download the maps for offline use, and even layer maps over each other for more info. I do this then put my phone in airplane mode while I’m hiking, and I can make sure I’m where I should be.

Highly recommended!

• Sandy

April 9, 2018 at 5:05 pm

[quote quote=6945]I highly recommend that you download the app AllTrails and pay for the subscription. With the subscription, you can download the GPX which will help you keep track if you are still on the trail or wandered off. You can also use it on airplane mode. a[/quote]

I also love using the AllTrails app, but just a note, you can still use the map to track your GPS location in airplane mode even if you only have the free version like me šŸ˜€

• Angeleshiker

April 14, 2018 at 9:09 am

I download the AllTrails app maps before we go. Then, I put my phone on airplane mode to save battery and click ā€˜recordā€™. The app will lay out the trail in red and will record your progress. It has certainly saved us getting lost several times!

Page 2 of 2

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: