Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire What's on your 2018 "To-Hike" list?

• What's on your 2018 "To-Hike" list?

Posted by Jeff on December 30, 2017 at 6:52 am

As 2017 winds down, lets look to 2018. What are your adventure goals for the new year?

As for me, I’ll be bagging peaks in NorCal and Washington. Running in the Grand Teton Half Marathon. I’ve got an attempt at Mount Shasta planned for June. And somewhere along the way, snowshoeing, snow camping, and one or two Muir Taco trips to the Eastern Sierra Nevada.

How about you?

bharmandvm replied 5 years, 11 months ago 18 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Marc

December 30, 2017 at 2:29 pm

haha, I’m actually going to FINISH the 6-pack this year. Last year I ran out of time; permit to camp was denied in Sept so couldn’t get Gorgonio completed by 9/30. Also having completed the Trans Catalina Trail on my 49th birthday, I’m now mulling over similar challenges for my 50th this October. Dare I say Whitney?

• NekkedDave

December 31, 2017 at 7:38 am

I’m going to start off 1/1/2018 by heading up Mt. Baldy again since it’s still clear up there and the weather has been great considering it’s practically January. Then perhaps Cucamonga Peak the following week. I will finish all six Peaks this year!!!

I’ve tried to get a permit for Whitney the past 3 years and can’t seem to pick the right dates for the lottery but still planning to make it up Mt. Whitney this year one way or another. (Any advice is welcome?).

To everyone else in the 2018 Six Pack challenge be safe, have fun, and maybe we’ll bump into one another on the trails. Here’s to 2018 ???

• Sgroban

January 1, 2018 at 4:58 pm

My goals are to finish the 6 peaks and to hike the Trans Catalina Trail for my first solo backpacking trip! I desperately want to travel more and hike as much as I can. It is truly my passion. Two of my biggest dreams are to hike the Theodore Solomons Trail and to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail. I am heading up to the San Jacinto peak this Wednesday to summit my first peak of the six! I am so happy to be apart of this! Safe travels to all!

• Denis Grigorov

January 1, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Random Adventure goals in 2018:

– Finish all 6-Peaks (my 3rd year in a row)
    – Finish A16 3-Peak Challenge under 24-hours (my 2nd year)
    – Finish 12-Peak-Challenge in Angeles Forest (this one is TOUGH tho!!!)
    – Finish all 52 hikes in 2018 (my 3rd year in a row)
    – Run 1,000 miles this year
    – Run LA Marathon (2nd time in a row)
    – Hike Rim-to-Rim (my 2nd time). And maybe finish R2R2R.
    – Complete C2C (my 2nd time). And maybe C2C2C depending on how crazy I feel.
    – Explore MORE of Yosemite National Park (and Sequoia National Park)
    – Run Rainier Ragnar relay (my 4th Ragnar).
    – Hike Trans Catalina Trail front-to-back
    – Hike the Lost Coast
    – Hike the High Sierra Trail (all 72-miles of it)
    – Summit Mt. Whitney (my 3rd time)
    – Summit one new big mountain in 2018, like Mt. Baker or Mt. Hood this summer.

– Summit Mt. Denali. Just kidding about that. This toughie will have to wait until I finish Nursing school first.

• Beth Clark

January 3, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Wow. Okay, so I’m a little intimidated, but… this is my first time taking on the Six Pack challenge, and I am running my first half marathon in February. I’m going to start there.

• Andree

January 19, 2018 at 8:05 am

2018 is full of hiking. This summer (Labor Day) my husband and I will be hiking South Lake to North Lake in the Eastern Sierra’s. 55 mile loop, 9,418 foot elevation gain.
    We’ll be doing a lot of camping this year. Several beach spots reserved at Carlsbad State Beach and also a week in Jalama Beach with our trailer. Fun year ahead.

• EsHs

February 5, 2018 at 7:13 am

[quote quote=2016]Random Adventure goals in 2018:

– Finish all 6-Peaks (my 3rd year in a row)
    – Finish A16 3-Peak Challenge under 24-hours (my 2nd year)
    – Finish 12-Peak-Challenge in Angeles Forest (this one is TOUGH tho!!!)
    – Finish all 52 hikes in 2018 (my 3rd year in a row)
    – Run 1,000 miles this year
    – Run LA Marathon (2nd time in a row)
    – Hike Rim-to-Rim (my 2nd time). And maybe finish R2R2R.
    – Complete C2C (my 2nd time). And maybe C2C2C depending on how crazy I feel.
    – Explore MORE of Yosemite National Park (and Sequoia National Park)
    – Run Rainier Ragnar relay (my 4th Ragnar).
    – Hike Trans Catalina Trail front-to-back
    – Hike the Lost Coast
    – Hike the High Sierra Trail (all 72-miles of it)
    – Summit Mt. Whitney (my 3rd time)
    – Summit one new big mountain in 2018, like Mt. Baker or Mt. Hood this summer.

– Summit Mt. Denali. Just kidding about that. This toughie will have to wait until I finish Nursing school first.[/quote]

Denis – what are the ’52 hikes’ you mentioned? I also need to look into the 12 peak challenge in LA. sounds fun!

• Marc

February 5, 2018 at 10:13 am

what a great ToDo list! I hadn’t heard of the 12-Peak Angeles Natl Forest challenge, and I just signed up (https://hikingangelesforest.com/12-peak-challenge/). Too bad Wilson isn’t on their list, or 2 of the 6-Pack would count (Baldy is the only one).

• Gerhard Tratter

February 6, 2018 at 1:14 pm

My goal is to hike as much as possible, at minimum once per week. Following are some of my hike list items for 2018

• – Six Pack times Two (I like 12-packs)
    • – Mt. Whitney via Mountaineers route (permit for 6/19 and 6/20 secured) – 14ner
    • – Mt. Langley via Horseshoe Meadows (permit for 5/27 and 5/28 secured) – 14-ner
    • – Telescope Peak in Death Valley National Park (March’ish)
    • – Corksrew Peak in Death Valley Nation Park (March’ish)
    • – Snow Skills class in Mammoth (April)
    • – Backpack San Gorgonio and traverse to San Bernardino (June / July)
    • – White Mountain (July/August) – 14ner
    • – Zion trip (October/November)
    • – The Wave ( Coyote Buttes in the Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness) providing I can get a permit (December)
  • AlAnCap

February 6, 2018 at 8:54 pm

[quote quote=4287]My goal is to hike as much as possible, at minimum once per week. Following are some of my hike list items for 2018

• – Mt. Whitney via Mountaineers route (permit for 6/19 and 6/20 secured) – 14ner
    • – Mt. Langley via Horseshoe Meadows (permit for 5/27 and 5/28 secured) – 14-ner
    • – The Wave ( Coyote Buttes in the Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness) providing I can get a permit (December)

[/quote]

When I check last year the area in between Bernadino and Gorgonio was closed. I hope it opens for you this year.

• AlAnCap

February 6, 2018 at 8:57 pm

First time Six Pack.
    Down the Grand Canyon in May.
    Havisupia in June.
    Lost Coast September.

I hoping to do John Muir 2019.

• Marty Elliott

February 7, 2018 at 9:11 am

Trans Catalina Trail for forth time at end of February, John Muir Trail NOBO at end of August and complete six pack of peaks for third time.

• Philip

February 13, 2018 at 2:15 pm

[quote quote=4300]

My goal is to hike as much as possible, at minimum once per week. Following are some of my hike list items for 2018

When I check last year the area in between Bernadino and Gorgonio was closed. I hope it opens for you this year.[/quote]

AlAnCap, the San Bernardino Divided trail that you mentioned did open up late last year.

• Philip

February 13, 2018 at 2:19 pm

A few of my quests this year will be the Backbone Trail x 2, Cactus to Clouds x 2, PCT from Snow Creek to San Jacinto Peak, of course the 6 pack of peaks (actually planning on all 8) x 2, Fool’s Traverse, and the 9 peak Challenge.

• Vuong Tran

February 13, 2018 at 9:32 pm

My first time doing the 6 pack of peaks challenge! I’m hoping to start with Mt Baldy this weekend!

On the side, hoping to do the the TCT this year!

• Marty Elliott

February 13, 2018 at 9:36 pm

[quote quote=4637]My first time doing the 6 pack of peaks challenge! I’m hoping to start with Mt Baldy this weekend!

On the side, hoping to do the the TCT this year![/quote]

Just know we got a little more snow the last couple days. Be prepared.

• Vuong Tran

February 13, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Thank you for the heads up, Marty. I was actually looking for weather conditions for both Mt Baldy and Mt Wilson to see which has less snow… If there’s too much snow then I may want to wait it out.

Page 1 of 2

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: