Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with hikers
around the country.

Homepage Forums Campfire Who likes to go backpacking?

• Who likes to go backpacking?

Posted by Jeff on August 10, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Do you backpack? What have been your Top 3 favorite backpacking trips? What trips are you looking forward to?
    For me, my Top 3:

1. John Muir Trail
    2. Wonderland Trail
    3. Lost Coast Trail

And I’m looking forward to thru-hiking the Teton Crest Trail, less than 5 weeks from today!

Jeff replied 2 years, 1 month ago 10 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd

August 11, 2021 at 3:48 pm

1. John Muir Trail

2. Grand Canyon Clear Creek

3. Elkhorn Crest – completed last week so it’s fresh on my mind. Only three days but it was just about a perfect hike. The scenery, company, and logistics all came together to make for an amazing experience.

• Jeff

Administrator
      August 11, 2021 at 4:13 pm

I look forward to your trip report on Elkhorn Crest. The photos I’ve seen remind me of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

• Tess Hooper

August 16, 2021 at 12:02 pm

I’m doing Lost Coast over Labor Day Weekend – really looking forward to it! 1. North Cascades mountaineering to Mount Maude (month long expedition, but didn’t get to summit due to avalanches and needed to evacuate)2. Mount Whitney (not the longest trip I’ve done but such stunning landscape)3. Sespe Wilderness (hot springs are always a plus on a backpacking trip)

• Tammy

August 24, 2021 at 2:20 pm

1. John Muir: JMT twice, both times near death experiences, eek! So stunning in those Sierra Nevada’s- love that area!

2. Trans-Catalina Trail: Catalina Island! Twice over the last two Thanksgivings – the campsites on the beaches are to die for! This trail is so fun any time of year.

3. The Enchantments: OMG this gorgeous place!- did not backpack bc permits are so HARD to land, but if you do all 20 mi. in one day its all yours anytime! – My fave challenge.

….my dream adventure to hike the Dolomites, by 2023!

• Joyce

September 1, 2021 at 11:27 am

I’m still a beginner in backpacking and I’ve only been on 3 backpacking trips and they’re just overnighters.

1. San Gorgonio Mountain (Vivian Creek)

2. Joshua Tree National Park

3. Crystal Cove State Park

• Karl

October 9, 2021 at 4:58 pm

Well…I’m not much for planning ahead, so the permit system in CA is a problem. A backpack in Henry Coe State Park might work this winter or spring.

• TJ

October 11, 2021 at 7:48 am

My number 1 is definitely JMT! I keep going back and never want to leave! Next year I’ll be doing the wonderland trail with Details, Benny and Toast! Can’t wait for that one!

• Kristin

October 12, 2021 at 3:15 pm

Love that you’re doing the Wonderland Trail! It’s on my list. 🙂

• TJ

October 12, 2021 at 3:17 pm

I’m definitely lucky, that’s for sure!

• Kristin

October 12, 2021 at 3:15 pm

I love to backpack, but it’s been challenging since having kids! My top three experiences are:

1. John Muir Trail

2. Annapurna Circuit Trek

3. Torres Del Paine in Patagonia

I’m looking forward to when I win the Wonderland Trail lottery and can hike it with a dear friend.

• Jeff

Administrator
      February 23, 2022 at 8:14 am

Don’t be afraid to do the Wonderland via walk-up permits. If you go on Sunday for a Monday start (and avoid holidays), and have flexibility to start on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, your odds are pretty good.

• Christopher

November 22, 2021 at 9:00 pm

I finished the Trans Catalina Trail about a month ago. It was my first multi night backpacking trip and it was amazing! The beachside campfires are Little Harbor, Parson’s Landing, and Two Harbors were soul refreshing. The people I met on the trail were awesome (including the surprise birthday party I got to be a part of!) My goal is to do this trail every year or two! I recommend it to everybody!

• Jeff

Administrator
      February 23, 2022 at 8:11 am

I enjoy the TCT… I’ve hiked it twice and would go back again. It’s a great “shakedown” trip before a longer trip, giving you a chance to dial-in your gear, food and systems. And you don’t have to worry about snow in the winter. ?

• Dave Stimson

February 22, 2022 at 11:08 am

HST 2019

LCT 2020

I am doing sections of JMT of the next 5 years (already completed section #1 in 2021, doing section #3 this summer)

AZ Winter 20% off early-bird rate ends in

:
:
: